This post is all about what to pack for a CrossFit competition!
If you’ve never done a CrossFit competition before, it can be a little intimidating not really knowing what to expect, or what you’ll need during the day! But, not to worry…. I’m here to help! ☺️
The first CrossFit competition I did, I brought little to nothing. 😂 I was brand new to CrossFit so I hadn’t yet learned all the helpful things I could’ve brought with me to make the day easier and a lot more comfortable for myself!
That’s why in this post I’m going to tell you exactly what to pack for a CrossFit competition; what you NEED to bring and what’s just highly recommended.
So make sure you gather as many of these items as you can the week of CrossFit competition! I really think you’ll be glad you did!
I hope you enjoy this post all about what to pack for a CrossFit competition!
This post contains affiliate links. You can read our full disclaimer here. This post is in no way affiliated with CrossFit. These are simply what we see as the essentials to pack for a CrossFit competition.
What to Pack for a CrossFit Competition
How Do I Prepare for a CrossFit Competition?
First thing’s first: how to prepare for a CrossFit competition the week of.
Here are a few things to check off your list:
- Take a rest day 1-2 days before.
- Make sure you’ve picked out your team name and turned it in to the host.
- Check your email to see if there are any directions from the host about what time to be there, where to park, and when the workout briefing is.
- Get plenty of sleep the night before the competition (8+ hours.)
- Hydrate! Drink plenty of water and also drink your hydration sticks. (By using these hydration sticks, you are not only replacing the electrolytes that you may sweat out, but you’re replenishing some of the minerals that can be deficient even before you started sweating!)
- Eat extremely clean. You’ll need plenty of healthy carbs, fats, and protein!
- Pray over the competition and your performance!
- The night before, pack your bag and vehicle for the next day!
What Should I Pack in my CrossFit Bag?
In addition to what to bring to the gym on a normal basis, here’s what to pack inside your bag for the competition!
- 1-2 changes of clothes (depending on how hot it’s going to be and how many workouts there are in the competition): sports bras, socks, undies, shorts/leggings, shirts
- An extra pair of tennis shoes (Just incase! Ya never know what may happen.)
- Weightlifting shoes
- Gym slides
- Polarized sunglasses
- A hoodie (if it’s going to be cold outside.)
- A plastic bag for sweaty clothes
- Sweat towel(s)
- Hand grips
- Hand tape
- Callus remover (make SURE to use this before doing anything on the bar to avoid ripping)
- Wrist sweat bands
- Weightlifting belt
- Knee sleeves
- Jump rope
- Chapstick/SPF chapstick
- Makeup (if you think you may want to touch it up, say, before everyone goes out to lunch after the comp!)
- Hand sanitizer/sanitation wipes
- Hair supplies: ponytail holders, elastics, scrunchy, headbands, brush.
- First aid items: some type of headache relief, Neosporin, bandaids, fingernail clippers, tampons, pads, tissues, peroxide, allergy meds, ice pack, hemorrhoid wipes, and anything else you think there’s a chance you may need!
Food to Bring to CrossFit Competition
Here’s a list of consumables, the supplies that go with them, and what to eat at a CrossFit competition!
IN THE COOLER:
- Water bottles (You may not want to wait in line for the water fountain or drink out of it after alllll the people that will be there.)
- Nuts or nut butter
- Some type of complex carb like rice, wheat bread, oatmeal, sweet potatoes, or quinoa
- A light, but filling, protein source like tuna salad (or tuna packets), grilled chicken, or tempeh
- Protein bars
- An isolate protein powder (This type of protein acts much more quickly, when your muscles need it most.)
- A fast-acting carb supplement (You’ll need this to regain your energy from workout to workout!)
- Blender bottle
- Hydration sticks (You’ll probably sweat A LOT and lose electrolytes more quickly than you can re-supply them with water alone.)
Other Things You’ll Need to Pack
- PVC pipe and/or a resistance band
- Foam roller and/or massage gun
- Lacrosse ball or baseball
- A yoga mat to warm up on
- A tent (Usually if you’re doing the competition with others from your gym, your group will determine who’s going to be responsible for bringing tents if the competition is outside and you’ll need some protection from the sun.)
- Fold-out chairs
- Blankets (if it’s going to be cold.)
- Phone charger/portable charger
What Should I Do the Night Before a CrossFit Competition?
Sleep, pray, eat clean, and get excited!
Pack your bag, cooler, and vehicle the night before. Also set out your outfit so you’re not scrambling last minute and realizing your favorite sports bra you were planning to wear is wringing wet in the washing machine. (😅 not speaking from experience or anything!)
Don’t go out and do anything crazy and definitely do NOT drink any alcohol. Get in bed early incase it takes you a little while to fall asleep. You’ll need at least 8 hours of sleep.
Set your alarm to allot for plenty of time to wake up, throw up a cute CrossFit hairstyle, have your coffee, eat a decent sized breakfast (like oats, protein powder, and a couple of eggs), and get there without having to rush. (Feeling rushed will make you feel more nervous and you don’t want that.)
Be prepared and give yourself more than enough time so when you get there you are focused, refreshed, and can truly enjoy your day! ☺️
I hope this list of what to pack for a CrossFit competition helped you! For more fitness tips and inspo, nutrition help, and a supportive community, join the SR Wellness Group Coaching Program!
Please comment below if you have any questions! You can also message me on Instagram and I’m happy to chat with you!
Looking for other CrossFit tips and ideas? I’ve got you covered here!