What does the Bible say about being a wife? Let’s take a look!
Being a “good” wife is a big title to live up to… Wouldn’t you agree?
In fact, I’d even argue that it may be impossible to live up to… Because we don’t just wake up one day after lots of self-work and say “wow, I have arrived. I am officially a GOOD wife.”
No… becoming a good wife is a life-long process.
Because becoming a “good” wife simply means becoming a more Godly wife… A wife who is more like Jesus. And becoming more like Jesus is something we can always do, everyday, until the day we die.
Phew… That was deep, right? But really! As a new(ish) wifey myself, I’ve learned that no matter how “good” of a wife I think I may be at times, there are inevitably times when I fail.
There are times I mess up and say things I absolutely shouldn’t have said. There are times I have to ask for my husband’s forgiveness. And there are MANY times I have to repent to God about my behavior.
But, the GOOD NEWS is… There’s grace for that.☺️ — Because of what Jesus did for us on the cross, we have the opportunity each and every day to wake up with our sins from yesterday forgiven; an opportunity to strive to be an even more Christ-like wife than the day before.
This post is going to show you the Bible verses about being a good wife and answer questions like “what does God expect from a wife?” and more.
This post is all about what the Bible says about being a good wife.
This post may contain affiliate links. You can read our full disclaimer here.
What Does the Bible Say About Being a Wife?
What Does the Bible Say About Loving Your Husband?
As you prepare for marriage, I’m sure you’re wanting to know what the Bible says about loving your husband well…
The Bible makes it very clear that we are called to love ALL others, including our husbands.
When we choose love, our love triumphs over all sin. Our love can melt even the hardest heart, because the love we are sharing is not our own; it is from Jesus.
If your husband is struggling, or even being mean or hateful to you, choose love. It may take some time, and you may not see results immediately, but eventually your love will change his heart, his actions, and his life. God promises it!
BIBLE VERSES ABOUT LOVING YOUR HUSBAND
- 1 Peter 4:8 — Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins.
- Ephesians 4:2-3 — With all humility and gentleness, with patience, bearing with one another in love, eager to maintain the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace.
- 1 Corinthians 16:14 — Do everything in love.
- Proverbs 3:3-4 — Let love and faithfulness never leave you; bind them around your neck, write them on the tablet of your heart. Then you will win favor and a good name in the sight of God and man.
- 1 John 4:16 — And so we know and rely on the love God has for us. God is love. Whoever lives in love lives in God, and God in them.
- John 15:12 — My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you.
- 1 Corinthians 13:13 — And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.
What’s the Purpose of a Wife?
Throughout scripture, we see that a wife has several purposes:
- To be her husband’s helpmate.
- A wife and her husband are more powerful and prosperous together than they are apart.
- A wife is her husband’s “crown.” — Although I do believe Prov. 12:4 is referencing a physical crown (as in one that a king wears on his head, which is a symbol of power and dignity), I can’t help but think about what the actual crown of every human’s head does: it provides protection and support for our brains.
- She is someone for her husband to confidently trust.
(More on a wife’s purpose in the next section as well.)
BIBLE VERSES ABOUT WIVE’S PURPOSE
- Ecclesiastes 4:9 — Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their labor: If either of them falls down, one can help the other up. But pity anyone who falls and has no one to help them up. Also, if two lie down together, they will keep warm. But how can one keep warm alone?
- Ecclesiastes 4:12 — Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken.
- Proverbs 12:4 — A wife of noble character is her husband’s crown, but a disgraceful wife is like decay in his bones.
- Proverbs 31:11 — Her husband has full confidence in her, and lacks nothing of value.
- Proverbs 31:12 — She brings him good, not harm, all the days of her life.
What Are the Duties of a Wife According to the Bible?
Through the below Bible verses about wive’s duties, we see several different responsibilities of a wife. Other than the duties that are fulfilled through a wife’s purpose (in the section above) we see that a wife’s duties also include:
- Being a homemaker.
- Being a witness to her husband, and inspire him to draw near to God.
- Working hard providing for her family. (In modern society, this could mean having a full-time job OR working hard to provide around her home.)
- Fulfilling her husband’s sexual desires.
BIBLE VERSES ABOUT WIVE’S DUTIES
- Proverbs 14:1 — The wise woman builds her house, but with her own hands the foolish one tears hers down.
- 1 Peter 3:1-2 — Wives, in the same way submit yourselves to your own husbands so that, if any of them do not believe the word, they may be won over without words by the behavior of their wives, when they see the purity and reverence of your lives.
- Proverbs 31: 13-15 — She selects wool and flax and works with eager hands. She is like the merchant ships, bringing her food from afar. She gets up while it is still night; she provides food for her family and portions for her female servants.
- 1 Corinthians 7:3-4 — The husband should fulfill his marital duty to his wife, and likewise the wife to her husband. The wife does not have authority over her own body but yields it to her husband In the same way, the husband does not have authority over his own body but yields it to his wife.”
What the Bible Says About a Man Finding a Wife
The Bible makes it clear that finding a wife is a great thing for a man. With that being said, a man finding a wife is a big commitment and responsibility.
A married man may now only have sexual relations with his wife. And he must stay married to her for life.
BIBLE VERSES ABOUT A MAN FINDING A WIFE
- Proverbs 18:22 — He who finds a wife finds what is good and receives favor from the Lord.
- 1 Corinthians 7:2 — But since sexual immorality is occurring, each man should have sexual relations with his own wife, and each woman with her own husband.
- Luke 16:8 — Anyone who divorces his wife and marries another woman commits adultery, and the man who marries a divorced woman commits adultery.
- Hebrews 13:4 — Marriage should be honored by all, and the marriage bed kept pure, for God will judge the adulterer and all the sexually immoral.
What Does the Bible Say About a Wife Not Submitting to Her Husband?
The Bible does say that a wife should submit to her husband, but this doesn’t necessarily mean what you may think…
Biblical submission does not mean a wife is a slave to her husband’s commands. It means she has committed her body and life to him, and him alone (along with God.) However, the Bible also says that husbands are called to “love their wives.”
So this means that a husband doesn’t have the authority to unlovingly tell his wife what to do and expect her to “obey.”
A husband should always keep what his wife may desire in mind, as he guides her through the lense of love.
BIBLE VERSES ABOUT SUBMITTING TO YOUR HUSBAND
- Ephesians 5:22-25 — Wives, submit yourselves to your own husbands as you do to the Lord. For the husband is the head of the wife as Christ is the head of the church, his body, of which he is the Savior. Now as the church submits to Christ, so also wives should submit to their husbands in everything. Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her.
- Ephesians 5:33 — However, each one of you also must love his wife as he loves himself, and the wife must respect her husband.
- 1 Peter 3:5-7 — For this is the way the holy women of the past who put their hope in God used to adorn themselves. They submitted themselves to their own husbands, like Sarah, who obeyed Abraham and called him her lord. You are her daughters if you do what is right and do not give way to fear. Husbands, in the same way be considerate as you live with your wives, and treat them with respect as the weaker partner and as heirs with you of the gracious gift of life, so that nothing will hinder your prayers.
What is a Proverbs 31 Wife?
The often-used label of “a Proverbs 31 Wife” is referring to a wife who holds many of the characteristics of Proverbs 31:10-31 from the Bible.
This 90-Day Guide to Living a Proverbs 31 Life is seriously such a fun journey to walk through if you desire to become a Proverbs 31 wife!
What Else Does the Bible Say About Wives?
- Wives are called to be peacemakers, NOT to stir up unnecessary arguments.
- Wives are called to spend more effort on their inner beauty than outward appearance.
- Wives are called to be gentle.
- Wives are called to be even-tempered (not hot-headed) so that they can be trusted.
- Wives are called to be wise with finances.
- Wives are called to be generous and help those in need.
OTHER BIBLE VERSES ABOUT BEING A WIFE
- Proverbs 25:24 — Better to live on a corner of the roof than share a house with a quarrelsome wife.
- 1 Peter 3:3-4 — Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as elaborate hairstyles and the wearing of gold jewelry or fine clothes. Rather, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God’s sight.
- 1 Timothy 3:11 — In the same way, the women are to be worthy of respect, not malicious talkers but temperate and trustworthy in everything.
- Titus 2:4-5 — Then they can urge the younger women to love their husbands and children, to be self-controlled and pure, to be busy at home, to be kind, and to be subject to their husbands, so that no one will malign the word of God.
- Proverbs 31:16,18 — She considers a field and buys it; out of her earnings she plants a vineyard… She sees that her trading is profitable, and her lamp does not go out at night.
- Proverbs 31:20 — She opens her arms to the poor and extends her hands to the needy.
We truly hope this post all about what the Bible says about being a good wife helps you grow into an incredibly Godly wife!
Leave a Reply